A bit about me...

I am a Professor of Professional Studies at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. I am responsible for the design and development of the technology instruction taken by juniors and seniors in the College of Education. I have been teaching for over 40 years. In 1972 I became Dean of the College of Professional and Community Service at the University of Massachusetts/Boston and served in that capacity until 1979 when I was named Vice President of the Council for the Advancement of Experiential Learning. I came to "South" in 1988 to develop a program in multimedia.
Last Edited on April 22, 2009

I Am A User of Google Tools

I am a committed user of Google's Tools. There are seven major "tools" available that I use:
  • Documents (Word Processor)
  • Presentation Creator
  • Form Builder
  • Spreadsheet (which is also a Data Base as are all spreadsheets)
  • Reader of RSS Feeds
  • Google Earth
  • Picasa Image Manager
Why are these tools so valuable?
  • They are Free!
  • They allow for a collaborative effort which also produces a record of who did what when
  • Documents and presentations are available to online audiences if desired
  • Chat (in some cases also with video) is available to "distant" participants
  • Can't lose document (stored in the cloud, i.e. Google's server)
  • Accessible anywhere there is an internet connection without need for an application other than a browser
I have found Google's tool set to be enormously useful and beneficial in my teaching over the course of the last several years.