A bit about me...

I am a Professor of Professional Studies at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. I am responsible for the design and development of the technology instruction taken by juniors and seniors in the College of Education. I have been teaching for over 40 years. In 1972 I became Dean of the College of Professional and Community Service at the University of Massachusetts/Boston and served in that capacity until 1979 when I was named Vice President of the Council for the Advancement of Experiential Learning. I came to "South" in 1988 to develop a program in multimedia.
Last Edited on April 22, 2009

Learning and Demonstrating Abilities in Public

I believe in public demonstrations of competence and abilities. All of the projects that my students, except two exams (word processing and spreadsheets) are public projects. They are either presented in front of an audience or they are available on the internet for public review.

In addition my teaching is public. Everything I cover in class is also available on my class blog, Dr. Strange's EDM 310 Class Blog. All of my instructional materials, whether handouts or videos, are available on the class blog.

I think that this method of demonstrating abilities is best for several reasons:
1. I can be held accountable for my evaluations if others care to evaluate my student's work.
2. Students often do better when they know their peers (or parents, or friends, or potential employers are watching.
3. Students can learn from other students.
4. Faculty can learn from students that are not in their classes.